Monday, February 16, 2015

...fully known, fully loved, at home


There are depths of love that I cannot know till I cross the narrow sea;
There are heights of joy that I may not reach till I rest in peace with Thee.
Draw me nearer, nearer, blessed Lord, to the cross where Thou hast died;
Draw me nearer, nearer, blessed Lord, to Thy precious bleeding side.
---Fanny J. Crosby, 1875

There are lots of sayings, maxims, proverbs, and mottos around the concept of ‘home’. Many of them are cross-stitched on pillows, and the rest are internet memes. I’ll admit, I have my favorites. From the musical The Wiz, “When I think of home, I think of the place where there’s love overflowing.” And another of my favorites goes something like, “Home. Where the people who know you best still let you in at the end of every day.” There is just something about being home, of being fully known and fully loved, just because you are.

I think hymnist great Fanny J. Crosby may have been thinking of home when she penned this verse nearly 150 years ago. Here in this life we get glimpses and glimmers of love and of joy. We know communion with God, and fellowship with others. We find purpose and fulfillment in pouring out our lives in service for a needy world. But there is a knowing, an immersion, that may only fully happen when we leave this part of life behind, when the things that bind us to this world let us go.

Or, as St. Paul said, “Now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then we will see face to face. Now I know only in part; then I will know fully, even as I have been fully known.”

Home. Draw me nearer, Lord, to Your side.

No comments:

Post a Comment