Sunday, December 31, 2017

...pass-along gifts...mighty good tidings

Arise, your light is come! The Spirit’s call obey;
show forth the glory of your God, which shines on you today.
Arise, your light is come! Fling wide the prison door;
proclaim the captive’s liberty, good tidings to the poor.
---Ruth Duck, 1974

We are so used to hearing the themes of Advent and Christmastide that they ring almost common in our ears, feel a bit bland rolling off our tongues…Light! Glory! Good tidings! When I stop and think about these things, they make me glad --- I need some good tidings, and some light, and a little glory to shine down on me! Yay, me!

Then hymnist Ruth Duck uses the prophet’s message from Isaiah to call my attention back to intention. Yes, some of that God-glory falls on me...but not to soak up and store. That glory, that light, those are pass-along gifts from a God who has called us as co-laborers in the life-work of lifting, reviving, nurturing, and restoring. These gifts? They were never meant for me, for us, to get and keep. This glory, this light, has always been destined for community.


And those, my friends, are mighty good tidings.

No comments:

Post a Comment