Sunday, December 17, 2017

...here in the chaos

I have a bad habit. It is the sort that has been an annoyance to me, here and there, in my life. It is also the sort that has caused hurt and harm in my life, in ways that wounded me and sometimes those who entered into relationship with me. You might call it 'somewhere out there' syndrome.

In 'somewhere out there' syndrome, you envision a better time to act, to work, to decide, to be--and it is coming. It is somewhere, out there. Sometime, in a hazily-conjured future, things will fall into place, life will make sense, and that will be the time, the time, to start really experiencing life.

Call it a strange kind of misguided optimism. But watch out. Because if you're not careful, a lot of life slips by while you are waiting for that perfect day, that just-right set of circumstances, that 'somewhere out there' future.

Hear this good news, my friends. This present messiness, this current chaos, this day, this day--this is what we're given. This is the day to be joyful--not 'somewhere out there', but now, now. Don't wait.

Your joy is calling.

2 comments:

  1. Reminds me of This Day from point of grace. I have this same bad habit also...
    https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/pointofgrace/thisday.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teresa, I think of that song often. And I try to think of it as inspiration for the present day, not regret for what might have been. Truly, forgetting what is behind, and turning in hopeful expectation toward what lies ahead...

      Delete