Friday, October 13, 2017

...like you-hu-hu

Gracious Spirit, dwell with me, I would gracious be;
help me now Thy grace to see, I would be like Thee;
and, with words that help and heal, Thy life would mine reveal;
and, with actions bold and meek, for Christ my Savior speak.
---Thomas Toke Lynch, 1855

One of my favorite movies as a child was Walt Disney’s The Jungle Book. A soundtrack highlight for me was the scat jazz ‘I Wanna Be Like You’, sung by the masterful Louis Prima and penned by Richard and Robert Sherman. In the chorus, King Louie sings,
            Oh, ooh-bee-doo, I wanna be like you-hu-hu,
            I wanna walk like you, talk like you, too…
Now, in the movie, King Louie had his own reasons for wanting to be like Mowgli. But I thought about this song when I read this verse of today’s hymn for the upcoming observance of Children’s Sabbath at our church.

I thought of it because, as a follower of Jesus, there is nothing I want more than to be like Jesus. I want to walk ( and live) in the way of Jesus; I want to talk (and love) in the way of Jesus. ‘I would gracious be;’ I want to live my whole life letting my words, my actions, my intentions be motivated and guided by the gift of love that has surrounded me from birth.

How will I live if I know that I am representing Jesus to the world? I want Jesus to speak through my life by my actions, bold in love and meek when honoring others. I want to show Jesus’ life in mine, through words that help and heal, in a world where words often tear down and injure, or where silence causes wounds of its own.

Gracious spirit, dwell with me, I would gracious be…

I wanna walk like you, talk like you, too…

No comments:

Post a Comment