Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Gifter, Maker (goodliness and gratitude)

The last couple of weeks, I have been thinking a lot about the varied and manifold ways God draws near to us and interacts with our lives. And in the drawing near, and in the relating in love, God is the giver of the good gift of our days here, spent in fellowship with God and with each other. And in the drawing near, and in the relating in love, God is the maker of ways where we cannot see a way, promising us that the path we walk we will never walk alone.

And these realizations formed in me a groundswell of gratitude---gratitude for a God with a sweeping view of history and a long view of the unfolding events of my life, and gratitude for a God with an interest in the day-to-day ordinariness of what feels oftentimes so monumental to me. Gratitude for a God meeting me where I am and dreaming me into something I can't even imagine for my life. Gratitude for a God spending enough time with me to allow a little goodliness to rub off.

And from that gratitude sprung this song. Hope it can speak for you today, too.

Gifter, Maker (a brand-new baby thanksgiving song)



Gifter, Maker

You birth us, you bear us
You craft us, you carry us
You mourn with us, you merry us
Gifter of days.
Befriend us and bend us
You soothe us and send us
Embolden and mend us
Maker of ways.

Thanks be to God up above
Creator of all that is good in us
Giver of love.
Thanks be to God with us now
Walking beside us to cheer and to guide us
For all of the days life allows.
Thanks be to God with us now.
----LACA, Nov'16




No comments:

Post a Comment