Friday, December 20, 2013

Renewed Creation

You come, O Lord, with gladness, in mercy and goodwill,
to bring an end to sadness and bid our fears be still.
In patient expectation we live for that great day
when your renewed creation your glory shall display.
---Paul Gerhardt

Today I am feeling worn out. I have had a cough that won't let up for going on a month, and things keep piling on. Things I bounced back from at 25 seem a little tougher to shake in my...early 50's. Even the medicine the doctor prescribed to make me better, made me worse. If you could see me (and I'm sort of glad you can't see me in my blogger chair), I would look worn out to you; I've got my worn out PJ's on, I'm eating leftover leftovers at the computer desk, my face is ashy save for the cheeks rosy from coughing and the purple circles under my eyes from the allergic reaction to the meds. If I was a rug, someone would cut out the good parts of me to craft and resell as wallets on etsy.
Our world is that kind of worn out right now. Tempers are frayed, both interpersonal and international. Ecosystems are fragile and natural resources running low. People sometimes look for reasons to separate themselves from others, based on ways they look, behave, love, speak. We choose consuming over conserving, doubting over trusting, fearing over loving. Our creation needs re-creating.
Good news! The coming of Christ brings with it the promise of renewal for the creation we have worn out! We will be renewed!

...so here we stand, whoever we are,
bathed in the light of a star...

No comments:

Post a Comment