Friday, October 7, 2016

...from overflowing love

Because I have been given much I too must give;
Because of thy great bounty, Lord, each day I live
I will give love to those in need, shall show that love by word and deed;
Thus shall my thanks be thanks, indeed.
---Grace Noll Crowell, 1936

The fact that you can prove anything with scripture notwithstanding, I think “prosperity” theology has it all backwards. You have heard this theology preached somewhere, sometime, and it is pretty attractive. If you give, God gives to you in multiples of what you’ve given. If you want to be rich, give away lots of money, then start raking in the returns.

I think this hymn text has it right. We don’t give to get…we give because we have. We take care of others because we’ve been provided for. We change the situations of others because God’s love has changed our situations. We give not to build up for ourselves, but because we have storehouses of the richness of life already.


When we give from the overflowing love of God in our lives, our thanks are enlivened in a way that prosperity could never do.

No comments:

Post a Comment